During the last woodland owner retreat in May, participants toured Mathews State Forest to learn about pine management from a DOF forester, gained hands-on experience with tree identification, and even inoculated their own shiitake mushroom logs to bring home.
Beginning Woodland Owner Retreats:
- are hosted by the Virginia Department of Forestry and Virginia Cooperative Extension
- are geared toward landowners who are new to forest management
- provide information on both hardwood and pine forest management
- offer chances for interaction with natural resource professionals from various agencies in Virginia, as well as with other landowners
- provide information on estate planning, management planning, and certification
- provide hands-on experience with tree identification, forestry equipment, and more…